To Our Lady of Sorrows ORCC website!
The comment has been made that choosing the title of Our Lady of Sorrows of Our Blessed Mother seems to some very depressing but we retort that just isn’t so. Far from being depressing, Our Lady’s sorrow is rooted in her intense love for Her Son, Jesus Christ and her witnessing the intense injustice wreaked upon Him in spite of His profound innocence at the hands of wicked men. She grieves, and as Simeon prophesied of her in the Temple when the Christ child was presented to him, she “holds all these things in her heart”. Would that we each could hold in our hearts the same love, the same sorrow she experienced for our crucified Savior. We rejoice with Our Blessed Lady that the victory has been won!!!
Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel is a mission of the Old Roman Catholic Diocese of Tennessee.
A mission is characterized by its small size and limited resources. Parishes, unless the result of a planned split of a large parish, many times began as missions.
We preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ consistent with the teaching of the ancient and historic church of Rome’s teaching prior to the innovations of the most recent vatican council (1962-1965). We use the Code of Canon law (1917)(except as it conflicts with our 1975 Rules and Constitutions), the venerable Tridentine liturgy is celebrated, we encourage Catholic spirituality and we profess the most recent proclamations of papal Infallibility, the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.
Through the See of Utrecht, Holland and the Old Roman Catholic Church our clergy enjoy Apostolic Succession. Since approximately 1910 permission was granted by Church hierarchy for clergy to marry prior to ordination. Consequently, many of our clergy are married and have children; hence, with families to support it is common for our clerics to hold secular occupations so as to lessen the financial burden to our parishioners.
While we recognize the universal jurisdiction of the Holy Father, it has not been clear how that relates to us in any functional way since the Vatican ceased communications with the Ancient See of Ulrecht in 1735 thereby establishing a parallel diocese; hence, in that regard, this part of the Church continues on sui juris as it has for the past two hundred and seventy plus years in one form or another.
Once again, due to our small size and limited resources, worship services take place in the rectory (priest’s residence) Chapel…what is referred to today by many as a “domestic chapel”.
Our Chapel holds about 25 people. Holy Mass is celebrated in English most Sundays, but always with the canon in Latin. We use only the rite approved by His Holiness, Pope St. Pius V, often referred to as the Tridentine Rite or just the “Latin” Mass.
The new “mass”, referred to as the mass of Pope Paul VI or the Novus Ordo mass, is not used.